Friday, October 22, 2010

'Secret society' smoothes rough edges

 
By JIM DIMMITT

For most of my life, I have wondered about the Freemasons.

I read and studied everything I could get my hands on regarding the topic. I was fascinated with the mysteries surrounding this ancient institution.

My grandfather, uncles and at least one cousin, that I know of, had been Masons. My own mother, when she was a teenager, was a member of the Rainbow girls, which is one of the youth orders of Freemasonry. What was it that they were a part of?

I was intrigued when I learned that many of the founding fathers were Freemasons. Participation in this institution allowed a break from the old nobility and allowed humble men, such as George Washington, to show their worth and rise in status.

I began to understand why nobility and other domineering institutions of the day wouldn't like this organization interfering with their established power structure.

I read numerous books, such as "The Temple and The Lodge," which claimed to know the truth about the hidden mysteries of Freemasonry. It wasn't too difficult to find the flaws in their logic, finding that their "facts" were little more than theory resting on the shoulders of hypothesis.

Perhaps my favorite stories were the ones telling of travelers during the westward expansion in the 1800s running up against various tribes of American Indians. Upon giving various Masonic signs of distress, the travelers were met with similar signs and were often spared and protected on their... (more)

 http://www.chicoer.com/opinion/ci_16394019

No comments:

Post a Comment